Encyclopedia | Library | Reference | Teaching | General | Links | About ORB | HOME
ORB Online Encyclopedia
Medieval Jews and Judaism
A Guide to Online Resources
Section Editor: Elka Klein
Preliminary Outline for this Section:
- ORB Encyclopedia--Original Essays
- The Jewish Community, by Elka Klein
- Primary Sources--Literature, chronicles, other texts
- The Internet Jewish sourcebook - a companion site to the Internet Medieval sourcebook. Covers all periods of Jewish history, but strongest for the Middle Ages.
- Translation of Sefer Yuhasin by Abraham Zacuto
- The Itinerary of Benjamin of Tudela, trans. Marcus Nathan Adler
- First Steps: an Introductory Bibliography in Medieval Jewish History, compiled by Elka Klein
- Christians and Jews in the Middle Ages, ed. Dawn Marie Hayes
- Jews in Medieval England, compiled by Christoph Cluse
- Jewish Life and Philosophy on the Continent before 1215, compiled by Sharan Newman
- Medieval Jewish Women in History, Literature, Law, and Art, compiled by Cheryl Tallan. An updated version of this bibliography may be found at the Hadassah Institute for Research on Jewish Women at Brandeis University.
- Resources for Teaching
- Jewish Studies Network (H-Judaic) syllabus list
- The Syllabus project of the American Academy of Religion includes syllabi on Jewish history and Judaism, albeit few of them medieval.
- Eliezer Segal's course pages contain a lot of excellent information on Medieval Judaism; see also the interactive image maps, introducing major medieval commentators and texts.
- The Jewish Roots of Eastern Christian Mysticism - "the internet version of an ongoing research seminar of graduate students at the department of theology of Marquette University"
- Other Online Resources
- Works of art
- Haggadah exhibit at Yale University, includes medieval manuscripts
- Ketubbah Digitization Project at the Jewish National and University Library, Jerusalem
- Links to museums and libraries
- The Diaspora Museum, Tel Aviv, includes several virtual exhibitions on its website
- Centers for medieval studies
- The Dinur Center: Jewish History Research Center This site contains links to hundreds of other resources covering all periods of Jewish history, including syllabi, bibliographies, external links, archives, and more.
- Professional organizations
- Jewish Studies Network/ H-Judaic home page